On the hill above the town Benkovac is a small fort called Kastel Benkovič which dominates the whole valley. It was found from written sources that the castle existed in the 15th century and was probably founded by the Croatian member of the family Benković, which was first mentioned in 1468. The fort has a very simple stone structure, consisting of a base square courtyard, a tall tower stands in the bottom. The corners of the walls are reinforced by two round towers built in addition during the Turkish period in the 16th century. Later alterations have already reduce the impression of strength, which has historical and architectural value. The town use today this place as a museum.